Friday 15 March 2013

Cross Browser Issues: Firefox Word Wrapping


Cross Browser Issues: Firefox Word Wrapping

 

Update: 2011/10/19

The following content doesn't apply to newer versions of Firefox, the mozilla community finally added support for the css style word-wrap:break-word.

You can read about it over here.

But I am preserving this post for posterity reasons, boys and girls, yes there was a dark age when Firefox didn't support this obvious to have feature, but now it does.

While working on my new site, I wrote a quick little console application in C# to insert a million records into my SQL database(dummy data), to see how well my database will perform with tons of data. 

The database performed superbly, but I noticed something else, the content in my side bar, didn't wrap correctly. In IE the content stretched the divs, in Firefox the content simply ignored the divs completely. 

 

So I thought to myself, cool, I will fix this using CSS, then added the word-wrap style in my CSS, everything looked fantastic, until I opened it up in Firefox - Noooooooo. 

I searched for hours on google, but couldn't find a working solution, until someone mentioned the wbr tag (word breaking tag) - basically you'll have to put a wbr tag, after every letter, I decided to write a quick javascript to take care of this - I made a C# version as well, but had a few concerns about how that might affect SEO. 

 
<html>
    <head>
        <title>word wrapping</title>
        <style type="text/css">
            .content
            {
                border:1px solid black;
                width:160px;
                overflow: auto;
            }
 
            .wordwrap
            {
                word-wrap:break-word;  
            }
        </style>
        <script type="text/javascript">
            window.onload = function()
            {  
                if (window.attachEvent == undefined)
                {
                    var tag = document.getElementsByTagName("span");
                    for (var i = 0; i < tag.length; i++)
                    { 
                        if (tag.item(i).className == "wordwrap")
                        {
                            var text = tag.item(i).innerHTML;
                            tag.item(i).innerHTML = text.replace(/(.*?)/g, "<wbr />");
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div class="content">
        <span class="wordwrap">Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis</span> is the longest word in english
    </div>
    </body>
</html>
 

What happens here is very simple, I place looooonnngggg words into span (can make it any tag you want) tags, and assign the wordwrap css class to them, next I loop through all span tags on the page (If we're in firefox), and search for all span tags that have the wordwrap css class assigned to them, when I find one, I use a regular expression, to add a wbr tag after each letter. 

Not a very cool situation, I hate the whole idea of having to write workarounds to make a browser behave in a certain manner - but sometimes one just have to live with certain things (or in this case you can always join the firefox dev team and fix it yourself). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angular Tutorial (Update to Angular 7)

As Angular 7 has just been released a few days ago. This tutorial is updated to show you how to create an Angular 7 project and the new fe...